“Everything will fall into place, you just gotta be patient and trust the process”..Anonymous
“Trust the process”…we have all heard this cliche’ and have our own opinions as to what it means. The phrase was first coined by the Philadelphia 76ers general manager during the team’s rebuilding “process”. Trust is defined by Webster’s dictionary as “the firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability or strength of someone or something”. A process is defined as a series or steps taken in order to achieve a particular end. So, what does it mean to trust the process?? It means letting go and having faith that things will eventually work out in its own time.
This can be applied to many different aspects of one’s life. For instance, trusting the process in your career means that while you are not exactly where you imagined being, you’re working your way to being there. If you trust the process, you will get where you intend to go without pressuring or rushing yourself. The process will take you to places you never imagined and it boils down to being patient, trusting and having faith. Trusting the process means that even though things may appear bad in your current situation, its definitely not your final destination.
The process is never easy. It will teach you what you need to learn if you are willing to listen, pause, and believe something good will come out of the chaos. The experience will be more profound if you allow life to happen without controlling the outcome or trying to control the results. You have to allow “the process” to work for you.
Okay, so what do you gain by trusting process?? Here’s a list of gains:
- You’re more confident– When you trust the process, you learn to build trust and rely on yourself better. If you know you have worked hard to get where you are, then you have confidence that you’ll get to where you want to be.
- You become patient– As already mentioned, trusting the process takes a great deal of patience. This is especially true if you intend to do it right. You build your character and attitude when you trust in the process of things and just let things BE.
- You become resilient– no matter what the challenge, you become resilient by trusting the process. You realize that the current battles are temporary and you have no need to try to control or fix things obsessively. You know at the end of the process everything always works for your good.
- You become open to change– Change is the one thing in life that cannot be avoided. Change is inevitable. While trusting the process you learn to adapt to the changes that happen. You actually embrace them.
- It will lead you to your purpose– Everyone is made for a purpose and this is why it is so important to have faith and trust that you will get there. What’s meant for you will find a way in your life eventually…just trust the process.
Remember, trusting the process is one of the most life altering things you can do. No matter how much you try, you can never control the outcome of your life. But, you can choose to trust and let it go. In letting it go, you take yourself that much closer to your goals, your life purpose, or to things you never expected.